Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

31 for 21 Challenge: Day Eleven. Therapies

We were fortunate to find out about the Down syndrome, while I was still pregnant.  It gave us time to plan, to prepare.  We called the local Down syndrome support agencies.  I reached out to a friend who works for early intervention.  I even called the early intervention agency.

Josiah started receiving EI services at the age of 6 weeks.  It started as two visits per week.  By 18 months, it was four weekly (in home) visits per week.  We also brought Josiah to playgroup.

As he grows older, therapy has become a normal part of each day and week.  We continue EI, but only have two in-home visits per week.  As we've switched some of his therapies to an outside agency, we now enjoy six outside therapies per week.

As I counted this out last week, I chuckled.  Josiah has eight therapy appointments per week (2 in-home, 6 out-of-home) plus he continues to enjoy his weekly playgroup.

Some say to me, "I don't know how you do it."

He's my son.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment