What would happen if people with DS ruled the world?Affection, hugging and caring for others would make a big comeback.
All people would be encouraged to develop and use their gifts for helping others.
People would be refreshingly honest and genuine.
A stuffy high society would probably not do well in the world of Down syndrome.
People engaged in self talk would be considered thoughtful and creative. Self talk rooms would be reserved in offices and libraries to encourage this practice.
Order and Structure would rule
- Schedules and calendars would be followed.
- Trains & planes would run on time.
- Lunch would be at 12:00. Dinner at 6:00.
- Work time would be work time.
- Vacation would be vacation.
- People would be expected to keep their promises.
- Last minute changes would be strongly discouraged (if not considered rude and offensive).
- Places would be neat, clean, and organized (not just bedrooms, but cities, countries, the whole world).
- Lost and founds would go out of business (even chaotic appearing rooms have their own sense of order).
- The “grunge look” would be out, way out.
- “Prep” (but not pretentious) would be very big.
- Repeating the same phrase or question
- Use of the terms “fun” and “cleaning” in the same sentence
- Closing doors or cabinets that are left ajar (even in someone else’s house)
- Arranging things until they are “Just so.”
- Our current mode of dealing with time, also known as the “Rat race” (or rushing around like our hair is on fire), would not survive.
- Here and now would command a great deal more respect than it currently does.
- Stopping to smell the roses would not be just a cliché.
- Work would be revered, no matter what kind, from doing dishes to rocket science.
- Speed would be far less important than doing the job right.
- Work would be everyone’s right, not a privilege.
- School and work sites would have picture, written, and verbal instructions to accommodate different learning styles.
- Counselors would be able to use visual mediums to help solve problems.
- Weather would be the only essential news item
- News would be more local (“A new McDonalds just opened up,” or “A dance tonight,” etc.). After all, what is more important than that?
If people with Down syndrome ran the world, would there be wars or murders? We don’t think so! There may be too many McDonalds but definitely not the wars or murders we have in our “civilized societies.”
What About “Behaviors”...
- Anger would only be allowed in special sound proof rooms.
- Trained negotiators would be available to everyone to help deal with any conflicts.
- The word “non compliant” would not be used (except as a very rude comment). It would be replaced by “assertive,” as in “he or she is being assertive today.”
- Art and music appreciation would be BIG.
- People would have time to work on paintings and other art projects.
- Acting and theatrical arts would be encouraged for all.
- You probably would not hear a great deal about exercise, but you may hear a phrase like, “Dancing tonight ... absolutely.”
- The President’s commission on physical fitness would probably recommend dancing at least 3 times per week.
- People would be encouraged to get married several times to have more weddings for more music and dancing.
- Richard Simmons and John Travolta would be national heroes.
- Elvis, The Beatles, and the Beach Boys would still be number 1 on the hit parade (Music of the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s would be BIG)
- Musicals would be very, very, very, big (such as “Grease,” and “The Sound of Music”)
- John Travolta would be the biggest star.
- Classic TV hits would be very BIG and take up at least half the TV schedules.
- “I Love Lucy,” “Happy Days,” “The Three Stooges,” etc. would be very BIG.
- Wrestling would be very Big.
- “Life Goes On” would also be very Big and replayed regularly.
- There would be fewer movies, but they would be replayed over and over.
- Movie theaters would allow people to talk out loud to tell what happens next.
- People would not hurt the feelings of others and they would also not lie or keep secrets.
- Therefore there probably would be no secret service agents, spies, or terrorists.