Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Friday's Facts 062912: Sandal Gap

I had heard of this before, and I haven't been able to find very much information on the topic.  Nonetheless, I thought I'd throw it out there....for what it's worth.

Some children with Down Syndrome are born with an extra large space between their big toe and second toe, otherwise known as sandal gap.  This is considered a soft medical marker for Down Syndrome; only 45% of those with Down Syndrome have this gap.

Sandal gap is actually a medial displacement of the big toe which causes a larger than normal gap between the big toe and second toe.  The space also dips lower into the foot than 'usual'. 

Josiah does not have the sandal gap.  He doesn't have the palmer crease.  He doesn't have short, stubby, fingers.  A lot of the 'soft' markers escaped Josiah.  So, I always find them interesting to read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment