Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February Vacation

It's been a very relaxing few days.  Jesse has the week off from preschool.  I think we are enjoying February vacation as much as he is.  The two trips back/forth to his school are eliminated for the week - it's been a nice change.  James's playgroup is cancelled for the same; one less commitment we need to worry about this week.  Admittedly, I really missed the EI worker (whom I'll call K) coming to the house this week.  James and Josiah both enjoy their time with her each week.  I think we all miss her, when she doesn't come out. 

Tomorrow is another lazy day at home.  I'm looking forward to it.  On Thursday, EI PT (whom I'll call D) is coming to work with Josiah.  I'm can't wait for her to come out this week.  I think she'll be surprised with the change in him.  I know we are.  Prior to surgery, Josiah slept a lot.  He ate every 4 hours; at night, I would have to wake him after 7 hrs to eat.  He would primarily lay on his back with arms outstretched beside him.  Since surgery, he is awake and alert most of the day.  He eats every 1.5-3 hrs.  Fortunately at night, he generally sleeps for one 5-6 hr stretch, allowing me to catch up a little bit on sleep.  For me, it's like having a newborn all over again (in terms of eating).  I swear he's grown in length in the past two weeks.  He is constantly moving his arms and legs now.  It's exciting to watch the strides he's made in the past few weeks.  His muscle tone is still very low in his neck and trunk.  He cannot hold his head up yet but I know that will come with time.  Tomorrow will be four weeks since his open-heart surgery.  I remain in awe of my little heart hero.

On Friday, we return to the pediatrician for Josiah's synagis shot.  He'll have a weight check that day.  I am nervous that he hasn't gained much weight in the past two weeks despite his constant eating.  I have to keep reminding myself that he only had open-heart surgery four weeks ago; the weight gain may not be instant.  Also, he gained 11 ounces in the first two weeks after surgery.  I believe he's grown in inches and he's constantly moving.  This may explain where some of the calories are going.  I guess it's just a wait-and-see thing now.

Friday is also Carl's birthday.  We celebrated with my family last weekend.  We will celebrate with Carl's family this weekend.  Then, Monday, we'll be back to our normal routine. 

In the meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy the week - mostly commitment free.  There's nothing more I enjoy than spending time with my husband and three beautiful boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment