Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Inspired by Adoption

I have always been fascinated by the idea of adoption.  As far back as I can remember, I have wanted to adopt a little girl.  At one time in my life, as I got older, I wondered if I would ever marry.  I thought adoption might be my only option.  Ironic that I sit here, now, with three boys.  The dream of a girl still unfulfilled.  As I go about my day to day business, I don't long for another child; I don't long for a girl.  As I watch my friends with their daughters, I often thank God for blessing us with boys :)  Though I don't think much about adoption any longer, I was reminded of it's omnipotent power the other day. 

Earlier this week, a pastor at a Virginia church put out an unusual plea: Agree to adopt an unborn baby with Down Syndrome and save him from being terminated. You see, a couple in the pastor's congregation found themselves pregnant.  Their unborn child had been diagnosed with Down Syndrome.  The couple felt unable to care for such a child.  They were feeling overwhelmed and desperate.  They were considering abortion.  The pastor asked them for one day - he would attempt to find a family for their unborn child.

It must have seemed a daunting task.  He persevered none-the-less.  He took to facebook and asked the world for help.

To his amazement, the church received over 1,000 phone calls and emails from around the globe from families asking to adopt the child.  With the help of the pastor, and a local adoption agency, the field was narrowed down to three families.  Each family will be interviewed.  The birth parents will choose a family for their child.

I am amazed at the selflessness of those who can choose another family, and situation, for their child.  It takes courage, compassion, and intense love to make such a difficult decision.  I have a good friend from college who placed her son in an adoptive home when she, herself, was just a teenager.  Though I've known her for almost 20 years, I remain in awe of her strength.  My respect for her cannot be described in words.

As for the current story, I pray for the birth parents as they complete this pregnancy and prepare to say goodbye to their baby.  I pray for the selected family that they welcome this baby with open arms - fully prepared for the joys (and struggles) they may face when they fill their home with this little person, with an extra chromosome.

I also pray for the pastor who, without help from above, took a tragic set of circumstances and turned it into a miracle.

“It is under the greatest adversity that there exists the 
greatest potential for doing good, both for oneself and others.”
 ~ Dalai Lama XIV


For those that may be interested in adopting a child with Down Syndrome, here are a few places to get you started:

http://www.dsagc.com/programs_adoption.asp


http://reecesrainbow.org/

http://specialneedsadoption.rainbowkids.com/Down_Syndrome.aspx

As with anything, be sure to research your options.  I have provided a few links but have no personal experience with any of the above agencies.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment