Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

31 for 21 Blog Challenge: DAY SEVENTEEN: Flexibility

It is clear to me that my recent cold has consumed the better part of a week.  I opened up the blog to write and saw that day sixteen was the last entry.  After briefly assuming something had gone radically wrong, erasing numerous entries, I had to take a step back and realize that I simply lost track of time.  The site was not hacked.  Nobody erased my entries.  I simply got side tracked.  I shall now attempt to catch up....

FACT or MYTH: Children with Down Syndrome are extremely flexible!!!

This is true!  Children with that extra chromosome have increased flexibility in their joints, called "hyper-flexibility."  Research indicates that the ligaments that hold the bones together in the joints of children with Down Syndrome are longer than usual.  It is very noticeable in a child with DS's hips, feet, and shoulders.  As children with DS grow older, and gains strength and motor control in specific muscle groups, the risks of joint injury lessens.

No comments:

Post a Comment